Saint Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Through the initiative of Pastor John Teutsch, our
Congregation was called into existence in Detroit on 22
February 1930 with 141 members.
In the following years this Church building on
Glenfield Road was constructed.
Our Congregation grew, continuing to keep the main
Sunday worship service in German. of over 614 members over 500
came from Europe. From
1948 thru 1952 our Congregation sponsored 213 families wanting
to come from Europe to the Detroit Michigan area.
lot was purchased!
Further properties are added:
Our growing Congregation was hard-pressed by the
economic crisis of the Thirties.
Only five families could manage to keep their houses.
Nevertheless, our congregation managed to build our
church building, fellowship hall, and parsonage.
After the Second World War our Congregation had a
serious task to integration of the “Second Generation” of
from all areas of Europe found an entrance point and a new
spiritual home, thanks be to God!
St. Peters is on
11423 Chicago Road Warren, Michigan
From Detroit to Warren:
Over the years more and more members of St. Peter moved to the
suburbs of Detroit. Therefore
our Congregation decided to move to Warren in 1980.
It succeeded in acquiring marvelous property on Chicago
Road, including a Church building.
In 1983 a fellowship hall was added.
Presently each Sunday our Congregation has an English
worship service with German elements to serve the
Warren/Sterling Heights area younger non-German neighbors.
many trials and issues this church has survived and is still growing with non speaking
German-Saxon or Transylvanian-Saxon families and includes
many other nationalities
becoming a multi national
Today our congregation is a member of the
Southeast Michigan Synod of
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America©